Sunday, July 4, 2010

In The Backyard, Again -- July 4, 2010

She was in and out too quickly yesterday for me to capture a shot.. but today was another day, and another opportunity to photograph the humming bird who comes to visit our porter weed a couple of time each day. This was her second trip in today, and was raining lightly. I had the D200 handy with the 70-300 VR lens mounted. I stepped out under the shelter of the eves to avoid the rain, hoping not to frighten her away, and voila!



The light wasn't great and I forgot to switch the VR on, but these aren't too bad...


She stuck it out for quite awhile -- visiting every small blue blossom, then came zipping at full throttle directly at me by the porch, stopping to check out a daisy about two feet from me and my camera -- the lens too long to focus on her at such a close distance... then she was gone in an instant...


Her visit motivated me to clean out the old humming bird feeder, cook up some sugar water, and hang it out in the garden next to her favorite flowers. We've never had any luck getting the hummers to visit the feeder -- they clearly prefer the real thing -- but who know... maybe this year. Come back and find out...

No comments: