Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sometimes It's Good To NOT Be The Photographer!

Kay and I attended the wedding of Keith and Becky this past weekend. Becky is the daughter of Steve and Michelle. Michelle is the bass player for my band, The Ashley Gang. They hired a great photographer to be their "pro" wedding shooter -- which gave me the opportunity to just relax, and shoot unposed, random stuff...

There is certainly something to be said for NOT having the pressure of someone's wedding memories in your hands -- or in the memory card of you digital camera...

I shot about 200 images -- then got to go home and "play" with them in photoshop, knowing that I had that luxury...


Weddings are great opportunities to learn the craft of digital photography, particularly when you're not the one being paid to get it right!

I have immense respect for photographers who do this stuff for a living. There is tremendous pressure to please your client, whose tastes in artistic imaging may be much different than yours... or the clients whose wedding you shot last week. They earn every cent they are paid, and you get what you pay for...

Thanks, guys, for letting me learn more of this craft at your wedding! You were amazing. More photos from Becky and Keith's wedding can be found here.

3 comments:

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

Great shots! Love the one one top. :)

I just spent the day with my new friend, who was once a pro photographer. He is teaching me, so much! We rode up to the Palasades and took some really fun shots of the city...and the country. He took my new facebook profile pic, just FYI. I'm getting really hooked...and really spoiled using HIS camera!

I am a lover of children's literature said...

Well, despite the pressure I must say, as did Bettina, you did a great job! Considering how important a wedding is to for the groom, and especially for the bride, it's the type of pressure I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)