Sunday, February 21, 2010

Orange Bracket Fungi and Aperture 3

This photo, shot a couple of weeks ago at Alpine Groves Park in northern Saint Johns County, Florida, demonstrates nature doing her business in perfect style. The orange bracket fungi are important in the process of recycling felled trees in the north Florida woods...


Nature's clean up crews are part of the absolute perfect beauty of the natural world, and framed with the first green leaves of Florida's February pre-spring weeks makes wonderful art. Now the rest of the story...

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of Apple's Aperture 3.0 photo processing software onto my iMac. I've tried earlier versions and have always found them to be extremely s-l-o-w. Ever hopeful as a Mac fan that their product updates will improve functionality -- I was quick to try this one out. Lots of new features that are great for processing at a professional level (200 new features, to be precise). So.... the image above? Processed in Adobe Photoshop Elements. I, along with other reviewers that I have read, have found Aperture 3 to be slower than ever, not to mention unstable. A simple saturation fix, that happened instantaneously in Elements on a 9 megabyte file took a full 30 seconds of waiting and watching the ball spin in Aperture. It's like waiting in the line at the bank behind the sweaty guy who can't find his checkbook. Time to change lines... Maybe the next version will run efficiently. Not holding my breath.

1 comment:

I am a lover of children's literature said...

I find it utterly amazing that from the plain oldbrown earth so many fantastic colors can emerge!

As far as Aperature 3.0 goes, the last thing I want to do is wait around all day, so thanks for the info about how, unfortunately, slow it is.