Friday, June 5, 2009

Local Focus - June 5, 2009

In an effort to bring some amount (however small) of discipline to my writing here, I thought that I would try to venture down a path of recurring themes, wrapped around my photography. Two or three areas of "focus" (pun totally intended), that might produce two or three posts per week. So here's what I came up with: 1) Local Focus -- a look at the northeast Florida region (not what most people dream about when they dream about tropical Florida...), 2) Strangers -- photos and stories of people I have never met, and 3) Free For All -- whatever happens to come to mind through the lens of my camera.

So tonight we start this little effort locally...


...County Dock Road in Mandarin dead-ends at the Saint Johns River. An old boat ramp adjacent to the dock that extends a thousand feet or so into the brackish water. Here we found a fisherman casting for bait, in silhouette near sundown on a cloudy day. The river was calm - it had rained heavily earlier in the afternoon. A good evening to fish...


Fifty feet out on the dock a couple fished and smoked. There were at least ten people, men and women, fishing on the dock. They all smoked. I wonder if North Carolina Tobacco attracts Florida fish to the end of those lines. His white tee shirt and red shorts made an interesting reflection on the slick surface. We didn't stay long, what with the smoke and all.....

2 comments:

I am a lover of children's literature said...

Both pictures are very nice. People like you make me want to take up photograpy again. In fact, I tried to do some recently. I made a few quick shots around my hometown of Saint John, New Brunswick, which, by the way, is also located on a river called the St. John!

My first lazy pics are here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39148543@N06/

Unfortunately, even though I like to read the Vital Muse, I simply can't shoot pics like him!

Paul Garfinkel said...

I'll look forward to seeing you over on FLICKR, DOn -- thanks for the kind words!